At MVM, we field thousands of questions each year from people of all walks of life. While we encourage anyone to reach out to us at (419) 478-6979 for specific answers tailored to their specific needs, we are happy to share answers to our most commonly asked questions.
It can be if you aren’t adequately informed and prepared prior to scheduling any services.
Moving companies can charge in a variety of ways at their discretion. Some companies charge by the item, some by weight, others by the hour or by distance, and even by a combination of some or all of those things and others.
There are two very important things to remember when developing your move budget.
- One is understanding specifically what you want your movers to do. Most companies offer a variety of services that include packing, disassembly and reassembly, the loading and unloading of a vehicle you supply, transportation, and storage are common services just to name a few. Knowing what you need is the first step to clearly letting your moving company know how they can help you.
- The other is understanding how the company you plan to hire charges and what happens if things change between the time of your estimate and the time of your move. Knowing about things like unadvertised fees, minimum charges, and other billing policy fine print can make a big difference in costs.
Knowing upfront about a mover’s billing practices and procedures as well as what forms of payment they accept and when they expect payment largely vary across different companies. Some require a deposit or payment in full before your items are delivered. Others only accept cash and some only accept certain credit cards. Having this information up front helps determine what type of company you are dealing with and what to expect on move day.
MVM offers a variety of options that let you tailor your services to your specific budget. Generally speaking, the more stuff you have to move, the more expensive it is but other things like distance, time of year, and your unique circumstances all play a part in the cost.
We are happy to play our role in your move and offer services that range from simply unloading items out of your vehicle through white glove packing and delivery services. Regardless of where we fit into the process, our commitment to our customers is to be transparent and accommodating with our services and billing procedures.
Here is a highlight of important MVM billing policies:
- We do not require a deposit to schedule your move and there is no cancellation fee if you change your mind.
- We accept payment on completion of our services when all of your items have been placed to your satisfaction.
- Our charges are easy to understand for local and long distance moving as well as our premium services like packing and storage.
- We treat our customers how we want to be treated as consumers. As such, we do not have any minimum charges, we do not charge origin fees, or charge extra for heavy or difficult items.
- Our charges are flexible and scale with the amount of work performed, not by how much our estimator thinks he can charge you.
- We are happy to provide estimated costs in writing and give our customers the choice of what services they would like to purchase from us. There is never an obligation to use our services and you are never forced to buy anything that you don’t want or need.
We have a few different pricing models based on the type of move. Generally, we charge hourly per move. We do not bill for lunches, breaks or any time not directly associated with your move.
Every move is different; for a more detailed estimation of your moving costs, call us to get a quote over the phone or schedule a time for an estimator to look at your home or business.
We charge hourly for local moving based on the number of movers and trucks that you need. Our billable time is roundtrip from the time we leave our facility until we return. There are no additional charges based on the destination, fuel, trucks, or other standard equipment. Local moves are any moves within 50 miles of your starting destination.
Long Distance Moving
Any move farther than 50 miles from your original destination is a long distance move. These can be across the state, or across the country. MVM Moving charges hourly for long distance moves based on the crew size and number of trucks required for your size move.
Depending on how far your move is, we also carry a fuel charge and overnight fee. Fuel charges are assessed per mile and can be estimated prior to the move using GPS routing. Overnight fees are also estimated in advance if we need to provide out-of-town food and lodging for the moving crew.
Specialty Item Moving
We love moving specialty items like pianos, safes, antiques, gym equipment, arcade games, and even saunas and hot tubs. Make sure to inform the estimator of these items during your consultation so that we can ensure the proper staff and equipment is allocated to your job.
Materials and Equipment
MVM Moving sells packing materials such as boxes, tape and packing paper. These are billed based on what you actually use. We also provide wardrobe boxes, which can be used and returned on moving day. If you would like wardrobe boxes prior to your move, we require a fully refundable deposit at the time of pickup or delivery.
Special equipment needed for your move, such as car dollies and trailers, incur additional charges. Call us to discuss what you need and we can give you a more specific quote.
MVM Moving offers indoor and outdoor storage at select locations.
Our Toledo, OH location offers outdoor storage for boats, campers, and trailers and will be able to accomodate on-site furniture storage in late 2019.
Our Columbus, OH location offers warehouse style vault-storage for as little as $40 per month. This is a great option for students moving home for break and for temporary and satellite office equipment
Currently, our Fort Wayne, IN location can only accommodate selective temporary storage due to warehouse space restrictions. We hope to fully offer this service by spring of 2020.
MVM Moving strives to be as up-front about our fees as possible. If the circumstances of your move change and you need additional equipment or personnel, we’ll always consult you first. You will never be charged for something without your knowledge and permission.
We’re also required by law to publish an intrastate tariff, which is on file at our offices and available by request.
Payment is due in full upon completion of our work. We accept cash, check and all major credit cards. You will never be charged a deposit. Instead, our guys will finalize the bill and collect payment from you after the final walk-through and everything has been completed to your satisfaction.
If you feel like we did an exceptional job, we encourage you to show your gratitude with a tip. You can tip your movers directly in cash or can add a tip to your total if paying with a check or credit card.
We take moving laws and regulations very seriously and comply with all licensing requirements. MVM Moving is fully licensed and insured to operate interstate and intrastate household goods moves for residential and commercial customers. Our insurance does not require us to be bonded.
For your reference, our licensing information is:
- Toledo, Ohio:
- USDOT: 1444491
- MC: 545936
- Columbus, Ohio:
- USDOT: 2834157
- MC: 947899
- Fort Wayne, Indiana:
- USDOT: 309838
- MC: 76046
Any further questions or requests for information regarding the status of our licensing and insurance can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also verify our safety and license information through our Company Snapshot on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
MVM Moving has invested in state-of-the-art equipment to tackle the extremely risky maneuvering of heavy items like gun safes, pianos and hot tubs. This investment protects both your property and our dedicated team of movers. The professionals handling your move are trained to move in a way that protects themselves and your belongings.
Absolutely! All of our crews bring heavy duty canvas runners and special door jamb pads to your move. If you would like us to bring additional protective materials, just let us know.
We do our best to avoid damages while your items are in our care. All moving companies are legally required to allow customers to choose how they would like to be reimbursed in the case of accidental damages, often referred to as cargo coverage.
We offer the following options for cargo coverage:
- Minimal Reimbursement Coverage – Standard coverage at $0.60 per pound.
- Full Value Replacement Coverage – Extra coverage at 1 percent of the declared value of the items, at a maximum of $6 per pound.
- Itemized Coverage – Specific item coverage at 2 percent value of the declared items.
- Items of Extraordinary Value – Coverage for specific, high-value items valued at $100 or more per pound.
We use late model, 26-foot box trucks. If needed, we also have vans, pickup trucks, and trailers for smaller jobs.
Yes, MVM Moving sells supplies. We have a variety of common moving supplies in stock at our warehouse available for customer pickup during normal business hours or for scheduled delivery.
Our standard inventory includes:
- Heavy-duty boxes (small, medium, large and extra large)
- Packing paper
- Heavy-duty tape
- Commercial tape guns
- Wardrobe boxes
- Mattress bags
- Plastic wrap
Specialty packing materials are available through special order with a 1 – 2 week turnaround time.
Absolutely. Our complete packing and shrink-wrapping services come backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Yes, MVM Moving offers disassembly and reassembly services at an additional charge. Our movers will bring toolkits for basic disassembly and reassembly of beds, desks, tables, appliances and most other commons household and office furniture.
You may or may not need to empty furniture drawers, depending on the type of furniture.
- Dressers and Chests of Drawers – Clothing can remain in standard-sized dressers. Please remove any books, jewelry, artwork or other heavy, fragile or valuable items.
- Wardrobes and Armoires – Large and/or heavy armoires should be emptied. We do provide free use of wardrobe boxes on moving day to address hanging items.
- Filing Cabinets – Standard, two-drawer filing cabinets can be left full with paperwork. Please lock the cabinets to ensure the files are secure. Filing cabinets larger than two drawers should be emptied.
- Fire-Proof Cabinets – Lateral and fireproof cabinets should be empty
Due to liability regulations with insurance companies, we cannot disconnect or reconnect gas, electric or water lines from any appliances. Please disconnect utility lines from your appliances before we arrive.
We are happy to move your appliances, but cannot remove any items hanging or mounted on the walls, such as TVs and speakers. Please remove all electronics from the walls and unplug them before we arrive.
We recommend scheduling movers as far in advance as you can. In the summer, our schedule typically fills up 2 – 4 weeks in advance. In the winter, our schedule typically fills up 1 – 2 weeks in advance. Fridays and Saturdays usually fill up first.
If you have a last-minute move, we may still be able to accommodate you. Call us to see if we have availability that meets your needs.
We are prepared and equipped to move you any time of year. Although there is never a perfect time to move, spring and fall moving — depending on your location — may bring a reprieve from extreme weather conditions.
Weather can be unpredictable at times, but we don't let that stop us from getting your job done! Most of the weather in the area is easy enough to work through without safety or damage concerns.
During hard rain, we might take a break until the storm passes. You will not be billed for any breaks our crew takes. If there is heavy snow or ice, we sometimes delay morning start times to allow plow trucks to clear the roads or ice to melt.
If you prefer to change your move date due to weather, simply give us a call and we can work to find an alternate date that may work better for you.
No, you don’t need to be present for our guys to move you. Before we begin moving, however, we do need to review our contract and reimbursement options with someone and get signatures on the contract to begin work. Please coordinate with us up front or have a friend or family member present if you cannot be present for your move.
We are happy to accommodate morning and afternoon moving. Our shifts start at 8:30 am, meaning our trucks will leave to travel to your location at that time.
Afternoon jobs have no firm start times because they are dependent on when morning jobs are completed. We aim for all afternoon jobs to start between 12 – 2 pm. We call all afternoon appointments before our crews are dispatched to ensure you’re available to meet the team.
MVM Moving is happy to help people with in-home moves. Often, that’s single items such as refrigerators, washers and dryers, pianos and bedroom sets.
You can contact us at any time to schedule a free consultation. From there, our estimators will talk with you on the phone or visit you in-person to assess the size of your move and write you a free, no-obligation quote.
MVM provides free estimates both in-home and over the phone, but the cost for moving services depends on:
- The size of the home and the number of contents
- The distance of the move
- Number of large items to be moved (furniture, appliances, etc.)
- Whether or not you want packing services included
- The estimated time it will take to move the items
- The number of movers needed for the job
- Time of year
- Amount of insurance you opt to protect your belongings with
- Assembly and disassembly of your items
The short answer is, “The sooner, the better” if you want to ensure that you can move on your preferred date. We are very flexible with moving dates once an appointment is made, but if you anticipate being up against tight deadlines because of moving in or out, closing dates, reporting to a new job, or anticipating a birth or any other life event, it is better to call us as soon as you think you will need a professional mover. We will never charge you to change or cancel a move, so best to schedule early. Scheduling 4-6 weeks ahead of time is always appreciated, but we can often accommodate those needing a move in up to two weeks.
In the summer, our schedule typically fills up 2 – 4 weeks in advance. In the winter, our schedule typically fills up 1 – 2 weeks in advance. Fridays and Saturdays usually fill up first.
If you have a last-minute move, we may still be able to accommodate you. Call us at 844-424-MOVE to see if we have availability that meets your needs.
We use an array of methods to ensure that all of our customers items are safe during the move, including those methods that double as a protection for the health and safety of our movers. Those methods include using:
- Plastic furniture wrap to prevent drawers from falling out
- Moving blankets to prevent scratches
- Lifting straps to make lifting heavy items easier, which not only eliminates the risk of your item being dropped, but it also saves the backs of our guys
- The use of strong, professional boxes when packing your items. If you opt to pack the items yourself, we still make our sturdy boxes available for a small fee and even offer free delivery of packing supplies.
- Proper stacking techniques. All of our movers are high-trained on the best ways to pack your items for both space and protection.
- Moving straps to ensure your items do not shift during transport
- Exceptional driving. Any MVM mover that gets behind the wheel of any of our vehicles has undergone rigorous training and exceeds all necessary driving requirements.
- Doorway bumpers to prevent dings and dents as furniture and other large items are moved in and out of the building
- Proper ramps on trucks and over building steps to prevent movers from tripping over or missing stairs
While we are happy to move any items that we are legally allowed to, we always insist that our customers be responsible for their own:
- Driver’s licenses, ID’s, passports, and birth certificates
- Important legal documents
- Jewelry, watches, or other small, valuable belongings
- Technology back-ups or other sensitive electronic information
- Perishable food
- Flammable items
- Potentially hazardous materials (fireworks, propane tanks, cleaning supplies, aerosol cans, pesticides, scuba diving tanks, pool chemicals, charcoal)
A Bill of Lading is the contract between you and the moving company that outlines the terms of the move, including cost, dates, where the items originated from and where they are going.
Plan ahead. Determine whether or not you can pack items yourself and whether you actually want to transport everything to your new home. Moving can be a good time to get rid of items that are simply taking up space in your house and selling unwanted items may end up making you extra money.